When: Sat, February 16, 2019 – 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Where: The Landmark Loew’s Jersey Theatre – 54 Journal Square Plaza, Jersey City, NJ 07306
Your local movie theater’s reclining seats are great and all, but does it have a grand chandelier in the lobby, fanciful sculptures and detailing, and a special movie organ that could reproduce hundreds of sound effects? Didn’t think so.
Join New York Adventure Club for an exclusive, behind-the-scenes tour of the historic landmarked Loew’s Jersey Theatre in Jersey City, one of the five Loew’s “wonder theatre” movie palaces built in the New York City area between 1929-1930.
Led by a Loew’s Jersey Theatre staff member, our unique experience at this opulent 3,000+ seat theatre will include:
- A discussion around the history of the Loew’s Jersey and how the Friends of the Loews volunteer organization single-handedly saved the theater from demolition (and restored it with no funding)
- A visit to the theater’s stage and backstage to see the intricate curtain pulley system
- Walkthrough of the original lobby, parlors, and hallways
- A look at the functioning Robert Morton “Wonder Morton” Pipe Organ, where the “Wonder Theatres” get their name
- An exclusive visit to the theatre’s projector room to see its collection of historic projectors
Click here to see pictures from one of our previous visits to Loew’s Jersey.
*Please wear comfortable shoes as we’ll be walking and climbing stairs for a portion of the trip.